This post has been republished via RSS; it originally appeared at: Microsoft Data Migration articles.
The Data Migration Assistant (DMA) enables you to upgrade to a modern data platform by detecting compatibility issues that can impact database functionality on your new version of SQL Server. The tool recommends performance and reliability improvements for your target environment. DMA allows you to move your schema, data, and uncontained objects from your source server to your target server. DMA replaces all previous versions of the SQL Server Upgrade Advisor (SSUA) and should be used to upgrade most versions of SQL Server (see below for supported versions).
What's new in v5.0?
The v5.0 release of DMA provides support for
- SQL Server 2019 for Windows and SQL Server 2019 for Linux as targets for assessment and upgrade.
- Saving and loading assessments (see the related blog post).
- Assessing SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) projects hosted in SSISDB and SSIS packages hosted in package store. DMA detects unsupported, partially supported or deprecated features and compatibility issues that are used in source packages and provides recommendations to help you address those issues.
- Assessing SQL queries from external application, e.g. SQL queries in C# source code. Users can use the Data Access Migration Toolkit (DAMT) to generate a full JSON report for the SQL queries used in C# source code and then upload the report to DMA.
In addition, this release of DMA provides additional enhancements and bug fixes, and the tool has been updated to .Net 4.7.2.
Supported source and target versions
- Sources: SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2016, and SQL Server 2017 on Windows.
- Targets: SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2017 on Windows and Linux, SQL Server 2019 on Windows and Linux, and Azure SQL Database.
You can install the tool from Microsoft Download Center. Run the DataMigrationAssistant.msi file to install the Data Migration Assistant.