This post has been republished via RSS; it originally appeared at: New blog articles in Microsoft Tech Community.
SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) is a suite of 5 tools designed to automate migrations from Oracle, Access, DB2, MySQL and SAP ASE (formerly SAP Sybase ASE) to Microsoft SQL. It automates the conversion of database schemas to a Microsoft SQL Server schemas, deployment of the schemas, data migration to the target SQL Server (see below for supported versions), and validation of migrated objects.
The latest releases of SSMA for Oracle and SSMA for DB2 improve the automatic conversion by adding support for new functions and enhancing existing conversion logic. In addition, all tools use COUNT_BIG in row count queries for the target database.
Follow us on Data Exposed for dedicated episodes on SSMA new features and subscribe to YouTube Channel: aka.ms/azuresqlyt to find out more on the next features.
In addition, this release includes the following:
- SSMA for DB2 is enhanced with:
- Load aliases for old/new row/table within the triggers definition for DB2 for i
- Add conversion for the LCASE, UCASE, LOWER, UPPER functions with two and three arguments
- Add conversion for the LTRIM and RTRIM functions with two arguments
- Improve conversion for LOCATE and POSITION functions
- Fix return type of the ssma_db2.CHAR emulation function
- Fix arguments of the ssma_db2.DECIMAL emulation function
- SSMA for Oracle includes the following improvements:
- Fix OLE DB connection string mode to respect the provider name
- Add missing ssma_oracle.fn_getColEntryByRange emulation function
- Add setting to emulate Oracle's empty string behavior in coalesce operations
Supported sources and target versions
Source: For the list of supported sources, please review the information on the Download Center for each of the above SQL Server Migration Assistant downloads.
Target: SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2017, SQL Server 2019, Azure SQL Database, an Azure SQL Database managed instance, and Azure SQL Data Warehouse (Azure Synapse Analytics)*.
*Azure SQL Data Warehouse (Azure Synapse SQL Pool) is supported as a target only when using SSMA for Oracle.