This post has been republished via RSS; it originally appeared at: Hardware Dev Center articles.
With the roll-out of 19H1 and the 8B patch on RS4 and RS5, we now have more ESRT telemetry available to better evaluate the health of firmware. We have developed eight new measures that utilize this new telemetry to help ensure the quality of firmware going into the ecosystem (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/firmware-measures).
- Percent of machines reporting successful firmware installs (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/esrt-pct-machines-reporting-successful-firmware-installation) will provide an indicator if there are install issues with the submitted firmware.
- Percent of machines that exceed max retry (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/esrt-pct-machines-exceed-max-retry) counts the devices that have tried to install the firmware and have reached the maximum retry count of 3 times.
- Percent of machines with WHEA error after firmware install (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/esrt-pct-machines-whea-error) counts the devices that have reported a fatal WHEA event after firmware install.
- Percent of machines with Abnormal Shutdowns (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/esrt-pct-machines-abs) counts the devices that abnormally shutdown for reasons excluding bugcheck (which automatically triggers an ABS) or ungraceful power button shutdown within 3 days of install, and did not abnormally shutdown 3 days before install.
- Percent of machines with no heartbeat within 7 days (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/esrt-7-day-brick-detector) counts the number of machines that successfully installed the firmware and has not heartbeat (reported any telemetry) in the 7 days following.
- Percent of machines with no heartbeat within 14 days (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/esrt-14-day-brick-detector) counts the number of machines that successfully installed the firmware and has not heartbeat (reported any telemetry) in the 14 days following.
- Percent of machines with pending firmware updates due to Bitlocker risk (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/esrt-pct-machines-blocked-bitlocker) counts the machines that are pending the firmware update due to the risk of entering bitlocker recovery post install.
- Percent of machines updated and successfully unlocked bitlocker recovery (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/dashboard/esrt-pct-machines-entered-bitlocker-recovery) counts the machines that installed firmware and entered bitlocker recovery causing the customer to recover by entering the bitlocker recovery key.
These measures are currently being evaluated and will be used to make accept/reject decisions starting December 12th 2019.
If your firmware fails one of these measures, please work with your IHV to get a fix for the crash in question.