This post has been republished via RSS; it originally appeared at: New blog articles in Microsoft Community Hub.
We’re thrilled to announce General Availability (GA) of the Major Version Upgrade feature for Azure Database for MySQL - Flexible Server! As part of our commitment to continuously enhance the managed database service experience, this feature enables a seamless, one-click experience to upgrade your Azure Database for MySQL flexible server from version 5.7 to 8.0.
Major Version Upgrade simplifies the process of migrating to a newer version of MySQL to leverage the latest features, performance improvements, and security enhancements, all without the hassle of needing to intervene manually.
Using the Major Version Upgrade feature brings several key benefits.
- One-click experience. With just a single click, you can initiate the upgrade of your Azure MySQL Flexible Server from version 5.7 to 8.0, simplifying the migration process and saving you time.
- Minimal downtime. We understand the importance of maintaining high availability for your applications. That's why our Major Version Upgrade process has been designed to minimize downtime during migration. For a minimal downtime upgrade, you can use the Perform minimal downtime major version upgrade from MySQL 5.7 to MySQL 8.0 using read replicas guide.
- Automatic compatibility checks. Before initiating the upgrade, the Major Version Upgrade feature will perform compatibility checks to identify any potential issues with your existing configuration or application code. This helps ensure a smooth transition to the latest version of MySQL.
- Rollback capability. If you take a full-on demand backup before the upgrade, then in the unlikely event that you encounter issues after upgrading, you can rollback to version 5.7 using the giving you peace of mind.
Getting started with Major Version Upgrade
To use the Major Version Upgrade feature, simply follow these steps:
- In the Azure portal, navigate to your Azure Database for MySQL - Flexible Server instance.
- On the Overview page, in the toolbar, select Upgrade.
- Select Upgrade to confirm the upgrade.
For a short demo of the feature, watch the following video!
Please note that it’s recommended to test the upgrade process in a non-production environment before using it for your production instances. Before you upgrade your production servers, it is strongly recommended to use the official Oracle MySQL Upgrade checker tool to test the compatibility of your database schema and perform necessary regression tests to verify application compatibility with features removed/deprecated in the new MySQL version.
For more details on upgrading major versions for Azure Database for MySQL - Flexible Server, see the comprehensive article Major version upgrade in Azure Database for MySQL - Flexible Server. This guide will provide you with step-by-step instructions, including how to perform a planned major version upgrade using the Azure portal and the Azure CLI, as well as how to minimize downtime during the upgrade process.
We hope that the Major Version Upgrade feature will help you easily transition to the latest MySQL version, unlocking the full potential of your Azure MySQL Flexible Server. As always, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to continuously improving our offerings to better serve your needs.
If you have any feedback or questions about the information provided above, please leave a comment below or email us at AskAzureDBforMySQL@service.microsoft.com. Thank you, and happy upgrading!