This post has been republished via RSS; it originally appeared at: Visio Blog articles.
Originally published to MSDN on Mar 19th, 2018
Visio Online can help you create structured flowcharts within minutes!
All you need is your data and a flow in mind. Here’s how:
1. In Visio Online, select the Basic Flowchart diagram.
2. Drag and drop a shape from the Shapes panel to the canvas.
3. Hold the pointer over the shape until Auto-connect arrows appear around the shape. (On touch devices, press and hold the shape until you see the arrows around the shape.)
4. Hold the pointer over one of the Autoconnect arrows. Quick shape suggestions appear. Click or tap the shape you want to add next. It will be automatically connected to the previous shape!
5. To add text, Double click (or double tap) the shape.
To add more shapes, drag and drop or use the quick-shapes list, until the desired flow is achieved.
A well-aligned flowchart looks structured and is easy to follow. Use the smart guides to align your shapes as you arrange them on the canvas.
Connectors connect shapes and depict the flow of elements in a flowchart. You can change different elements of your connectors to make them stand out.
Select a connector, then on the Home tab, click the Line icon and customize the following:
A. Color : All theme colors are available for connectors.
B. Weight: Thicker line weights help make flowchart structure more visible.
C. Dashes: Choose from a number of solid and dotted line styles.
D. Arrows: Change the arrowhead type for begin and end points.
E. Connector Type: Choose a Right Angled, straight, or curved line.
Choose Theme Colors
Visio Online offers a number of theme colors to make your diagrams look stunning. Choose themes and color variants in the Design tab.
You can add your own colors to shapes via the Fill color dropdown.
Design tip: To ensure a uniform looking flowchart, use three colors or less. Also, make sure the colors complement each other.
Add a Banner
Banners can provide a clear title to your flowchart and make the context easier to understand.
Select the Add Shapes icon in the Shapes panel, look for Banners, and then click Add. Click on the Banners icon to see the banner shapes.
Further enhance your flowchart by adding icons from the Symbols shape set.
Don’t forget to share your beautiful flowchart with colleagues and friends. Happy flowcharting!
We’re constantly looking for ways to improve Visio Online and invite you to send us your ideas through our UserVoice site. For questions about Visio Online and other features, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow us on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter for the latest Visio and Visio Online news.
- The Visio Team, Microsoft