This post has been republished via RSS; it originally appeared at: ITOps Talk Blog articles.
A lot of news surrounding Azure Service updates this week. News the team will be covering includes Azure Monitor - Stateful and 1 minute frequency Log Alerts, New Azure VMs for general purpose and memory intensive workloads now in public preview, Azure Cost Management and Billing updates – April 2021, Microsoft acquires Kinvolk to accelerate container-optimized innovation and the Microsoft Learn module of the week.
Stateful and 1-miute frequency Log Alerts in Azure Monitor
Log alerts, one of the alert types that are supported in Azure Monitor, allow users to use a log analytics query to evaluate resources logs every set frequency followed by sharing an alert based on the results. Rules can trigger one or more actions using action groups. Two of the most requests features of log alerts are now available in public preview:
- Stateful log alerts - With this feature enabled, fired alerts should automatically resolve once the condition is no longer met. This is like the default behavior in metric alerts.
- 1-minute Frequency - With this feature enabled, the alert query will be evaluated every minute to check the condition. Reducing the overall time to fire of a log alert.
There are currently no additional charges for 1-minute log alerts while in preview. Pricing for features that are in preview will be announced in the future and a notice provided prior to start of billing. Using 1-minute frequency log alerts after the notice period, will be billed at the applicable rate. Stateful log alerts is planned to not incur additional charge when GA.
Visit log alerts in Azure Monitor to learn more.
New Azure VMs for general purpose & memory intensive workloads in public preview
The new in preview Dv5, Dsv5, Ddv5, Ddsv5, and Ev5, Edv5 series Azure Virtual Machines (VMs) are based on the 3rd Generation Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8370C (Ice Lake) processor in a hyper-threaded configuration. This custom processor can reach an all-core Turbo clock speed of up to 3.5GHz and features Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (Intel® AVX-512) and Intel® Deep Learning Boost. These new offerings deliver a better value proposition for general-purpose, and memory intensive workloads compared to the prior generation (e.g., increased scalability and an upgraded CPU class) including better price to performance.
Read the entire announcement here: Upgrade your infrastructure with the latest Dv5/Ev5 Azure VMs in preview
Azure Cost Management and Billing updates for April 2021
No organization wants a surprise when it comes to their cloud compute bill, and this is where Azure Cost Management and Billing can help.
Microsoft is always looking for ways to learn more about how Azure Cost Management and Billing can help better understand where you’re accruing costs in the cloud, identify and prevent bad spending patterns, and optimize costs to empower you to do more with less. Here are a few of the latest improvements and updates based on your feedback:
- Get retail prices in non-USD currencies.
- New date picker in the cost analysis preview.
- What's new in Cost Management Labs.
- Deploy key design principles with enterprise-scale architecture.
- Empowering operators on their cloud migration journey.
- New ways to save money with Azure.
- New videos and learning opportunities.
- Documentation updates.
Microsoft acquires Kinvolk to accelerate container-optimized innovation
Microsoft is excited to bring the expertise of the Kinvolk team to Azure and having them become key contributors to the engineering development of Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Azure Arc, and future projects that will expand Azure’s hybrid container platform capabilities and increase Microsoft’s upstream open source contributions in the Kubernetes and container space.
Microsoft is also committed to maintaining and building upon Kinvolk’s open source culture. The Kinvolk team will continue to remain active in their existing open source projects and will be essential to driving further collaboration between Azure engineering teams and the larger open source container community.
Further information can be found here: Microsoft acquires Kinvolk
- Patch and Switch - It has been a fortnight and Patch and Switch are back to share the stories they have amassed over the past two weeks.
- Hello World - Special guests, content challenges, upcoming events, and daily updates
Microsoft Australia Security Skills Bootcamp (free, online) 17-21 May
MS Learn Module of the Week
Use Azure Lighthouse with your managed service business
Build strategies around security and compliance that enable you to authenticate and authorize your users, handle sensitive information, and enforce proper governance.
- Explore what Azure Lighthouse is
- Understand the features of Azure Lighthouse
- See how to use Azure Lighthouse for cross tenant management
- See how to use Azure Resource Manager templates
- Set up Security Center with Alerting
- Create a managed service offer on the Azure Marketplace
Learn more here: Use Azure Lighthouse with your managed service business
Let us know in the comments below if there are any news items you would like to see covered in the next show. Be sure to catch the next AzUpdate episode and join us in the live chat.