This post has been republished via RSS; it originally appeared at: Windows Blog.
(Disclaimer): Pre-release software shown. Subject to change.It should be simple to catch up on the things we care about. Yet, I find it can be overwhelming. I’m inundated by news, information and on-going alerts across online sources, media channels and devices. It turns out, I’m not alone. In a recent Forrester survey commissioned by Microsoft, we found that on average, people spend seven hours a day online, use six different feeds on a regular basis and check their feeds five times a day. There’s so much to catch up on, but there are only so many hours in a day. I don’t want to lose time navigating notifications, validating sources and switching devices. Instead, I want to start with what matters. I want to start with articles I’m interested in from publishers I trust. I want both breaking headlines and content pertaining to my interests. I want content on a range of topics all in a single destination. I want access to this on my PC and my phone. To address this need, we’re introducing Microsoft Start. This personalized news feed and collection of informational content provides news from premium publishers, timely updates tailored to your interests, and is available when and where you want it. Microsoft Start will begin rolling out today and is conveniently available:
- As a standalone website (available on Microsoft Edge and Chrome) – MicrosoftStart.com
- As a mobile app on both Android and iOS
- From the News and Interests experience on the Windows 10 taskbar
- From the Widgets experience in Windows 11
- From the Microsoft Edge new tab page
(Disclaimer): Pre-release software shown. Subject to change.
Start with personalized news and premium content from your preferred publishersMicrosoft Start builds on Microsoft’s legacy with online and mobile consumer services like MSN and Microsoft News. MSN has been bringing customers news and online content for over 25 years and will remain available. We will continue to build on our commitment to news and our publisher ecosystem, adding value for both partners and customers alike. Microsoft Start brings new technology to content experiences, including Microsoft’s latest advancements in AI and machine learning, coupled with human moderation, to help people stay up to date with information that is personalized for their interests. I’m tired of sifting through a bunch of articles I’m not interested in. I often find that tracking down quality content requires some effort; regardless of if I’m looking for a specific headline or simply exploring different topics. The feed from Microsoft Start streamlines this process. I can now start with articles I want to read. The feed curates content – based on my interests – from over a thousand global premium publishing brands. The more I engage with the content, the more refined my feed becomes. When I see an article or publisher I like (or don’t like) I can immediately indicate this to further tailor my experience. I can even jumpstart the personalization process by directly managing my interests. I simply need to click the ‘Personalize’ button to get started.
(Disclaimer): Pre-release software shown. Subject to change.
Start with the information you need. Stay for the content you love.I no longer need to check 5+ feeds to stay up to date. Instead, I’ve started getting updates on the news and so much more in a single engaging and informative place. Looking for the latest scores? Searching for my next stock pick? Making sure the weather won’t impact my plans? Microsoft Start has me covered.
(Disclaimer): Pre-release software shown. Subject to change.Sometimes, I just need a quick update. For this, my feed includes information cards on topics like weather, finance, sports and traffic. I can adjust which information cards are included in my experience and solely focus on the information I desire. Unlike in other feeds, a single glance can keep me updated across a range of my interests. When I want more information on any of these topics, I can dive into an immersive experience for additional details.
- Now I can start finding hyper-local and up-to-the-minute forecasts that let me know exactly where and when it's going to rain. Interactive maps on air quality, severe weather and more leave me prepared all year long.
- Now I can start getting a pulse on the stock market in minutes with up-to-date data and breaking financial news. Having setup my watchlist, I can start my day with information tailored to the companies and currencies I'm interested in.
- Now I can start to understand local congestion before I leave for a quick errand.
- Now I can start getting all the latest scores, upcoming schedules, detailed stats and news for my favorite sports teams in one place.
Start with personalized and timely information, when and where you want itI often jump between my laptop and my phone to stay informed. Yet, each time I switch devices it feels like I’m starting from scratch. Now, I can get started where I left off. When I’m logged in using my Microsoft account, Microsoft Start showcases consistent content regardless of how I access it. Microsoft Start on the PC – I can now start my day on the PC with information on my news and interests only a click away. I can go directly to the Microsoft Start website from Microsoft Edge or Chrome. Moreover, there are even more convenient ways for me to access the experience from Windows and Edge:
- News and interests on the Windows 10 taskbar is the fastest way for me to stay up to date on my Windows 10 PC. I can open my feed by clicking the weather icon in my taskbar. Then when I click on any content, I land in Microsoft Start.
- Windows 11 brings me closer to the news and information I care about faster with Widgets – a new personalized feed powered by AI and best-in-class browser performance from Microsoft Edge.
- The Microsoft Edge New Tab page helps me stay informed when I’m browsing, by providing personalized news and articles from Microsoft Start.
Microsoft Start is available as a mobile app on both iOS and Android
(Disclaimer): Pre-release software shown. Subject to change.Even though I spend quite some time on my PC, I am often on the go. The great news is that I can carry this experience over to mobile with the Microsoft Start app.
- The mobile app makes it easy for me to stay informed on the go as my personalized experience travels across devices. All my interests and preferences set in the PC are synced to my mobile, just by logging in with my Microsoft account.
- The mobile app further connects me to the world around me, with location-based services and advanced search that inspires me to be closer to my community. Whether I’m looking for a new business in town or searching through voice or image, it has never been easier to get the information that I need.
- The mobile app helps improve my productivity and helps save me time. I have one-click access to daily activities like search, weather, finance, news and shopping, allowing me to get things done in a fast and smooth way without leaving the app.