This post has been republished via RSS; it originally appeared at: Microsoft Tech Community - Latest Blogs - .
If you've considered exploring HoloLens development, there has never been a better time to get started. During the month of January, you can join other learners committed to taking the first step by signing up for the HoloLens 2 App Development Fundamentals Challenge.
When you join the challenge, you'll be assigned to one of four teams in a competition to see who will have the most learners complete the required training by January 31, 2022. The training includes a series of step-by-step Exercises and Knowledge Checks that will show you the basics of HoloLens 2 app development including how to:
- Configure Unity and set up a project with the Mixed Reality Toolkit
- Add hand interactions to manipulate objects
- Position, organize and lay out objects
- Use solvers to create intelligent object placements
- Add buttons, dynamic menus, and descriptions to objects
- Use controls to manipulate objects
- Enable eye-tracking and voice commands
- Anchor objects to the real world
- Add spatial audio to an application
- Use speech recognition and transcription
- Integrate to cloud services like custom vision and bot services
- Create a Holographic Remoting app to visualize 3D content
Sound fun? You bet! Sound challenging? Indeed. We suspect it will take around 6 hours to complete the exercises once the tools are installed and ready. The modular design of the training makes it easy to pause and resume at any time, so you'll have the flexibility to go at your own pace. Don’t delay too long, as you must finish by the end of the month to help your team win.
Don't have a HoloLens 2? That's okay. While it is always the most fun way to interact with your holographic apps in the real world, you'll be able to learn the basics of developing a mixed reality application and view your progress in Unity's editor or by deploying it to the HoloLens 2 Emulator.
If learning about MR (Mixed Reality) is on your to-do list, don't delay! Join the Challenge and find yourself on the leaderboard with other #holowhos, #mixedrealities, #metawhats, and #deliverators getting a jump on their 2022 skilling goals.